Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Importance of Fatherhood

"We believe in fathers. We believe that far from being superfluous, fathers are unique and irreplaceable."
-D. Todd Christofferson

Just today, I was walking through the university store at BYUI, and I saw so many cute signs about moms. An interesting one said "Home is wherever your mom is." I sat there thinking about my situation, and how that hasn't held as true as I always thought it would. And then it hit me, why are we so focused on mom's anyway? Don't get me wrong, mothers are amazing, and I can hardly wait to become one. But we seem to focus so little on fathers, and they're just as important as our mothers. I pointed this out to my roommate, and she told me that someone had actually asked her teacher about why we don't care about Father's Day as much as we care about Mother's Day. You know what he said? He said, "Because they don't deserve it." Can you believe that?

So, why is a father so important? Well, in the article "The Significance of a Father's Influence", it states that men and women are very different. They think differently, act differently, but they also parent differently. Fathers are more likely to see their child in relation to the rest of the world, while mothers see the world in relation to their child. Mother's help teach children about the importance of relationships, while fathers are better at expanding vocabulary. Now, this may seem like it isn't such a big deal, but kids need those little differences. They can't have one without the other because both of those differences divinely complement each other.

Did you know that in a study of parent-child relationships they found that having a loving and nurturing father was as important for a child's well-being and success as a loving and nurturing mother? Fathers are so important, and it breaks my heart to know that we're in world that thinks our fathers don't deserve recognition for all that they do for us.

I would like to take a minute to talk about my dad and how amazing he is. I'm sorry, but he is honestly the best dad ever! My experience with my father has almost always been positive. Of course, we would fight sometimes, that's what teenage daughters do with their fathers. But he has always been there for me, no matter what. When my mom left, I was amazed at how much love I had for my dad. I hadn't had a great relationship with him before, but I suddenly started becoming closer and closer to him. He became my great friend and confidante, and I discussed a lot of issues with him. He offered me advice that my mother never could. Because my mom left the church, I was so afraid I had lost the only way of talking religion. After having numerous talks on religion and important issues, I wonder how I could have been so blind. My father is almost better to talk with about religion, politics, football, and so many other things. My only regret is not learning that before my mom left, and before I left for college. Maybe we could've had a much better relationship with lots more memories.

So, to conclude, father's are just as important as our mother's. Our father's actually have a great impact on our well-being, success, and happiness. They are divinely different and have different roles than mothers do, but that doesn't make them any less important. I am thankful for my dad and the influence he has had on me. I would encourage you all to take a look at your relationship with you father. If it isn't great, fix that! If you don't have a father, I am so sorry. You can do your best to realize that your mom also has a great influence on you, and be thankful for her. I hope that as you examine your life, you will realize that home is also wherever your dad is.

The Significance of a Father's Influence

No comments:

Post a Comment